The salt trade was subject to a municipal tax. As one can read in Salimbene de Adam’s Chronicle, in 1277 the city began construction of the Salt Customs House, located on the corner of what is now borgo San Vitale, where the ancient name of borgo della Salina is still displayed.
Unlike other territories, Parma was able to get its supply of salt through the brine wells in the Salsomaggiore area, many of which were owned by the city. The availability of this salt favoured greatly the development of Parma’s art of cured meats.
The Town Hall Tower adjoined the city’s storehouses, and it is thought that salt humidity was one of the main causes for the tower subsiding and collapsing in 1609. Afterwards the palace was rebuilt in its present form.